Welcome everyone to the read along of Seanan McGuire’s A Local Habitation, Book 2 in the October Daye series. Anyone is welcome to join us over at our GoodReads Group! Check out the info at the end of the post.
This week’s hosted by The Bibliosanctum. We’re covering chapters 26-END below, so beware of spoilers if you have not read that far. I’m doing the audiobook version (which is awesome) but I apologize now for any misspellings of names and such.
1. Alex and Terrie’s secrets are finally revealed. Was that the outcome you were expecting? If not, what theories did you have concerning the two?
In general, that is what I thought was going on. Alex and Terrie were sharing a body and they fed off of emotions. I have not come across their particular type of fae before but I can see now why they are rare. People don’t take kindly to being manipulated so, or having a loved one caught up in such a relationship that ultimately leaves them dead.
It does appear that Terrie had more control over what they were, or at least, was willing to enact it. I’m still not sure that I buy Alex’s constant ‘not my fault can’t control it’ excuse. Terrie had the charm but never laid hands on Quentin. But now that Alex must turn in early every day, perhaps that will curb his emotion sucking activities.
2. We get Toby doing more powerful things with blood during the course of this story aside from gleaning information. What are you thoughts on this? Do you think we’ll start to see her doing more wondrous things over the course of the series?
I’m glad she’s exploring more of her magic. I’m not squeamish about blood myself, so I found her attempts to do this or that interesting instead of gross.
It’s typical for long running series, right? The main character always grows stronger in some regard, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Toby is this complete powerful badass by Book 13.
3. Did you expect Tybalt to actually show up at Tamed Lightning? What’s your take on this “not-friendship” that is developing between Toby and Tybalt? Does learning more about the cats and sensing Tybalt’s own feelings about what has occurred make you feel differently about him or see new aspects to his personality?
Yes, I expected him to show up at Tamed Lightning. We have tons of cats, some missing cats, and a dead cat sidhe. So, yeah, Tybalt had to show up and put right what he could for his people.
I really hope there continues to be a slow burn between him and Toby. In Book 1, they had this kind of truce that friendly and now we see there is a true friendship there. I don’t think Toby is used to having healthy relationships and she does have a history or running away from them (ex. Duke Sylvester being not only her liege lord but also a kind of father figure).
So I know several experienced readers have been all Team Tybalt from the get go, but I don’t think the possibility of that romance really became apparent until the end of this book. Tybalt is definitely throwing some faces at Toby and she’s no longer completely oblivious. She needs time to think about that. It’s good to see the Cat letting his guard down a bit and showing some of his real emotions.
4. Despite being misguided, what did you think of the attempt to create something lasting for Faerie after hearing Elliot’s explanation? Is there a way to save and preserve Faerie or is Toby right that maybe its end is near?
Faerie is always changing and that’s why it has survived this long. Toby feels that this ‘download yourself into a Faerie Matrix’ idea is a rather stagnant version of Faerie and therefore wouldn’t be Faerie at all. While I see her point, we all know that computers today are quite capable of making an ever-changing world or even beings. And yet Faerie has always been about the magic and not about the tech.
Faerie put out the gag orders when they were all in danger of being burned at the stake. No one as to appear fae in public and you don’t talk to humans about Faerie. But times are changing and maybe Faerie needs to rethink that. There’s big chunks of today’s society that wouldn’t be ruffled at all if Faerie was real.
5. What do you think will happen at Tamed Lightning now that Jan is gone? Do you think April will be able to maintain or do you think things are just getting started between Tamed Lightning and Dreamer’s Glass? Do you think others will be willing to go to Tamed Lightning after this?
I think April will be very efficient in running Tamed Lightning. However, I am not too sure she has learned how to interact with others well, yet. She can probably do so, but it will take time and mistakes will be made. Hopefully, she won’t piss off Dreamer’s Glass with those mistakes.
Yes, I definitely think others will be attracted to Tamed Lightning. It appears that Jan had this open door policy and didn’t turn up her nose at fae-half breeds or the so-called undesirable mishmashes. I expect that April will have the same policy and will welcome those that have both the desire and ability to contribute.
6. Overall, what did you think of A Local Habitation? Did you like it more or less than the first book? Are you still excited to see where Toby’s journey leads? Any favorite parts? Least favorites? Gush as much or as little as you want.
I’m having a hard time saying which I liked more, and I really liked Book 1. At first I was a bit skeptical of the tech/fae mishmash going on, but the author stuck to the rules she laid out, and that made it work for me. I do think it was a bit obvious that Alex/Terrie were the same entity and that they fed on emotions, so the big reveal about them was a bit anticlimactic. I really liked Quentin’s role in this story – he makes a great side kick and I just want to get him a great set of tights to complete the image.
So Quentin’s second crush, April, is over and done with pretty quick. Granted, it was crazy circumstances and then April had to grow up in a flash.
So we’ve had a couple of the months represented (October, January, April). I wonder if this little theme will continue in the next book?
I’m glad there was this quiet, anti-dramatic nod to the friendship Toby and Luidaeg have developed.
Of course, I want to knoe abut Toby’s mom now and if she really was there at the funeral, and why? Just to glimpse Toby? Is she beholden to Sylvester in some way and felt compelled to go to his niece’s funeral?
Elliot can be a total badass with his cleaning skills! Poor kitties!
Info on the Read Along
Here’s the schedule:
Week 1: Saturday 5th March, Chapters 1-8 hosted by Over The Effing Rainbow
Week 2: Saturday 12th March, Chapters 9-16 – hosted by Lynn’s Book Blog
Week 3: Saturday 19th March, Chapters 17-25 – hosted by Books By Proxy
Week 4: Saturday 26th March, Chapters 26-end – hosted by The Bibliosanctum
You can catch the weekly questions and links to folks’ weekly posts over at our GoodReads group SF/F Read Alongs. Have a look around and you’ll see we have other upcoming SFF read alongs planned. As always, you’re welcome to be lurker, a commenter, or do your post.