And the WoT Quad returns with Book 10, Crossroads of Twilight! If any of you silent stalkers want to join us, you are always welcome to. You can leave me a comment or email me (nrlymrtl [at] gmail [dot] com) to get on the weekly email of the discussion questions. Check out the schedule.
This week, our host is Eivind, our keeper of esoteric WoT knowledge, can be found in the comments over somewhere (perhaps at Liesel’s). Make sure to swing by Sue’s at Coffee, Cookies, and Chili Peppers for excellent guesses as to what the future might hold and Liesel’s at Musings on Fantasia for cool fanart.
This week I am a little slow as I am suffering from a head cold and a kidney infection. If my answers seem a bit dimwitted, just kindly pat me on the head and pass me some kleenex, Tylenol, or vanilla icecream with fresh strawberries.
This week, we cover Chapters 5-8. Spoilers for this section run free below!
1. We learn a lot about Darkhounds from Masuri and Elyas. Do you expect that this will be the wolves’ role in the last battle? Whom could this large pack be after, if it’s not Perrin?
I was surprised when signs of the Darkhounds showed up again, and yet no dead bodies, not yet. And, yes, it sounds like the wolves are going to have be the one to free their brothers from the torment of being encased in Darkhound bodies and forced to serve the Dark. I bet that will be epic if a bit sad.
Since this large group didn’t tear Perrin’s encampment apart, but instead circled, and then left, I have to wonder if they are hunting Morgase. I wonder how they got her scent to hunt her in the first place?
2. Perrin has no goal other than freeing Faile. Could he be fixating on her to the degree of endangering the actual mission at hand? Does he need a wake up call?
Yes, his fixation on Faile has already endangered the mission. And while I think Faile is probably not the right woman for Perrin (with her ridiculous jealous ways), I don’t think she would want him to fail at his mission for the sake of her. Especially since she knows she isn’t in imminent danger from the Shaido – just uncomfortable and inconvenienced.
But I doubt Perrin would accept a wakeup call even if it came from Faile. In some ways, I really like this about Perrin, in others….well, the fate of the world does rest on the shoulders of a few individuals, and one of those individuals is Perrin.
3. Masuri and Annoura have been meeting with Masema, and so, it seems, have Suroth. What are all these characters planning?
Suroth is a Darkfriend, Masema is insane, and I forget where Masuri and Annoura sit on that spectrum. Masema won’t settle for less than the entire world swearing allegiance to the Dragon Reborn (through Masema, as his prophet). While Suroth is playing two lords – the Empress (may she live forever) and the Dark One. I expect Suroth is making false promises to Masema in order to bring him and his followers under some control while the Seanchan deal with total domination of Randland.
As to what they are planning together or separately….well, I am too medicated to come up with a even a silly guess.
4. Masema’s letter from Suroth conveniently does not mention his name or description, so Perrin could potentially use it himself. What would be on your wishlist?
When I heard that letter being read off, at first I thought it was one of those letters Siuan issued (when she was Amyrlin Seat) to our lady heroes many, many books back. Very similar wording.
And if Perrin, or someone riding with him, is smart enough to point out that Perrin can use the letter to his benefit, well then:
1) Enough armed soldiers to safely take the Shaido and rescue their captives
2) More armed soldiers to safely ‘escort’ Masema to Rand
3) More armed soldiers to protect the people and villages Perrin designates
4) Supplies – lots of roasted pheasant and bread and tents and blankets and mead. Yes, we need mead.
5. Everyone in camp believes Perrin was unfaithful with Berelain, and she’s not too concerned with denying it. Could she be endangering morale? Do you really believe that she’s as concerned with rescuing Faile as she seems to be?
I think Berelain was hoping that if everyone believed Perrin had bedded her, he would eventually do so. She has now seen that is not how Perrin works. I am hoping that she has shifted her motives and will assist Perrin in every way, just as she says. And yet…..She hasn’t denied the rumors of bedding Perrin nor has she asked her maids to do so.
And, really, it is quite stupid. I know she is the ruler of a small country and has to play these silly games to keep her seat. But with Perrin, and Rand, she doesn’t. Perhaps she is finally seeing that she won’t get what she wants by playing Perrin the fool.
I don’t think she cares for Faile at all, but she is also the daughter of a ruler and rules Perrin’s heart. So it wouldn’t hurt Berelain to do well by her.
6. Mat is heading north from Ebou Dar at the exact same time as Perrin finds the Shaido in northern Altara. Could we… could we have a meeting?
I hope so! These boys need to synchronize their Rainbow Swirls! And if we do, I expect it to be epic – since the Darkhounds are following the Shaido to get Morgase. Then if the Borderlanders we saw in the Prologue are also marching on the Shaido, that could add some unexpected excitement to the meeting. Plus we Tuon and the Seanchan looking for her.
Has Mat ever met Morgase? Can he ID her? Haha! I’m such a dork. Thom is traveling with Mat, and he can definitely ID Morgase.
I know Elyas is already wondering about this, but I wonder too: What has Masuri been doing with her life to put her in near contact with 7 packs of Darkhounds?
The Tinker’s lad (forgot his name) seems jealous of Perrin giving his time to anyone else (except for Faile). I have to wonder if this will be a problem in the future? Will there be a one-sided bromance?