Welcome everyone! This is the third week of the dissection of Robert Jordan’s Book 8 of The Wheel of Time Series. Anyone is welcome to join us, so check out the schedule over HERE.
This week, Liesel from Musings on Fantasia is your host. Our walking WoT encyclopedia, Eivind, can be found in the comments at Liesel’s. Make sure to also check out Sue from Coffee, Cookies, & Chili Peppers.
This week we covered Chapters 22-26. Spoilers run free and in their birthday suits below!
1. Most of this section comprised Rand’s battle against the Seanchan. What are your thoughts about this section? You can address the nobles, how Rand handled it, how the battle went, how it was written, and/or what the ramifications will be. Basically anything you want.
We didn’t get to see much of the action and things were kind of broken up. If I understood correctly, this battle took several days to wrap up, but the individual scenes kind of ran together for me, feeling like they all happened in one day.
I will say that I do like how it started off with Rand almost taking an arrow and ended with Bashere slamming his head into the ground to get him to stop with the lightning bolts on the friendly forces. Bashere has big brass balls!
2. The two noble women with Rand pulled out belt knives when Rand was thrown from his horse. He wondered if they’d been meaning to kill him or protect him before Bashere came crashing to the rescue. What do you think?
Hmm…I think it was a combination of the killing Rand (if it didn’t cost them anything) and possibly protecting themselves from him. If you are protecting someone, then usually one person assists while the other faces outward with their weapon(s) to scare or fight off whoever is attacking. I didn’t see either lady doing that, but then neither are particularly use to fights, let alone battles.
Still, as ignorant as they may be of basics on the battlefield, I wouldn’t trust them while I slept.
3. Liandrin is a slave to the Seanchan! Thoughts? Feelings? Expletives?
Well, at least now I can believe that Liandrin has been punished half-way decently. Just another half to go! 🙂
If Liandrin gets passed on to a Seanchan Darkfriend, this could be a bad thing as they could do quite a bit of damage together. Still, wasn’t she weeping copiously at one point, when it was just her and her Seanchan mistress left after an encounter with an Asha’man? I kind of wondered if she had been Stilled by the Asha’man, but perhaps it was just a big fright to have to face off with a man who can Channel.
4. Rand’s bundle turns out to be Callandor. What do you think of the way he tried to make use of it and why it didn’t work? Or did it?
Rand seems to be getting further and further away from planning things out. More and more, we see him acting impulsively. Here, we see the same. He took up Callandor in a fit of anger and pride and he didn’t direct his efforts in a direction or towards a certain group of people. Granted, he had to fight Callandor and Saidin. Still, very very sloppy.
5. We see a major shift in Rand’s thoughts/personality here. He’s gone from the bumbling farm hand to a somewhat arrogant battle lord. Thoughts about this? How will it affect events and his chances of making it to the Last Battle?
We still have many, many books to go before the Last Battle….er, unless the Last Battle takes place over 2 or 3 books. Anyway, still several books away. So, we definitely need someone or several someones to take Rand down a notch on the battlefield. If they don’t, we’re going to end up with a burned out or dead Rand and lots of dead allies. If no one else is quite ready to slap the idiot, I volunteer!
Honestly, I expect Cadsuane and perhaps Sorilea to step up to this task and bring Rand back to his center. Then folks can breathe a breath of relief until the Last Battle.
6. Alviarin disappeared from the Tower for two weeks before suddenly returning to stomp all over Elaida again. Where do you think she went? And what is Mesaana up to with that decree recognizing claiming the Tower is “guiding” the Dragon Reborn?
I have no idea what Alviarin is up to. Maybe meeting with Suroth of the Seanchan, swapping secrets and giggling like only Darkfriend girls can. Wherever she was, she was up to no good as I doubt she would go off to run errands, like picking up carrots and embroidery thread, herself.
I think Mesaana’s decree is a mix of underestimating Rand and underestimating Egwene. Rand doesn’t particularly care if the White Tower, let along Elaida, is behind him. (Granted, part of that is his arrogance and believing he can take care of business on his own). Then we have Egwene who is shortly (hopefully) going to unleash Aes Sedai badassery upon the Tower and wreck so many plans. (Can you tell I am so looking forward to that? :))
As to what Mesaana is planning longer term and is hoping to accomplish with that decree, I don’t know specifically. I am fairly certain it is a bid for control and power, but when is that not the case with the Forsaken?
7. The sisters Elaida sent to break (*snorts*) the Black Tower is easily brought to heel. What do you think Logain did to Toveine and what will happen to the Tower sisters who were captured?
Haha! Well, Logain kissed her, even was polite about it. As to what that kiss did, I am guessing it is some kind of Compulsion or Bond. But obviously it is not like a Warder Bond as Toveine would recognize that kind of Bond. She’s mush more pliable now, and I look forward to more entertaining interactions with Logaine. Maybe this is the only way Asha’men can get dates these days? 😉
If I recall, Rand ordered that all captured sisters were to be brought to him first, and then he was going to hand them over to the Aes Sedai. Though I think he would do better to hand them over to the Wise Ones, but that’s just my opinion.
Rand, dashing through the Traveling gates first…..and nearly taking an arrow or two. Rash, very rash.
What is that silly lady’s name, the one with the horse with no bottom? She tried wiggling her charms at Rand! Haha! I wish Rand had been in a joking mood and had waggled his eyebrows back at her, just to see her face drain of color.
Witch hunting, even for Darkfriends, is a messed up business!