This week covers Chapters 4-10. Yes, there are spoilers below. You can also check out the schedule if you want to join us.
1. The “supergirls” are at an impasse, and they have conflicting testimonials on Liandrin’s plans. Who do you believe? Where would you have them go?
The first question is easy – trust no one. The second question is difficult. I would first see if there is a way to verify any piece of either story and then make a best guess of where to put the limited good guy resources. One story is more disastrous than the other (2nd chatty Black Ajah), so I am inclined to say that is to distract the good guys, to draw their resources away from where they would be needed.
2. Moiraine claims she knows her future husband better than the other girls know theirs (and no, it’s not Lan). What could she possibly be on about?
It is so very interesting to think of Moiraine as a married woman. I almost want to say this is some Min vision that Moiraine has interpreted. I would guess that at some point Moiraine will be forced into a marriage in order to save the world, because until that goal is achieved, I can’t see Moiraine seeing to her personal happiness (or even marrying as a convenient way to provide stability for children).
3. Saidin and Saidar are revealed to be very different things. This is the first time we have some real info about male channeling. What do you think of this magic system?
1) Egwene and Elayne won’t be able to teach or guide Rand as they had hopes. 2) Rand can accomplish a lot, like pissing off everyone in the room, the cleaning staff, and the guards – all in a short amount of time. Way to go Rand! 3) I was a little disturbed when Rand held Egwene and Elayne helpless while he demonstrated his flammatory abilities. Perhaps the taint of Saidar subtly encourages one to questionable uses of the power?
4. Elayne seems to approach this seduction business from a different angle than Berelain does. Successfully so, it seems. Rand and Perrin have both apparently found love. What about Mat? Are there anyone for him?
I was checking out another blogger’s review of Book 3, The Dragon Reborn, and let my eyes flit over the comments. Unfortunately, I read and comprehend quickly. I didn’t mean to, but I now know that Mat will have a relationship that is more than casual. I even have a name. No, I am not going to share here and possibly spoil it for others. I can’t wait until we finish the series and I can safely look at the wealth of fan art.
5. In the depths of the Stone there is a doorway ter’angreal, through which one can get true answers to three questions. Will someone end up using it, and if so, who? What might they ask? What would YOU ask, if given the chance?
Of course it will be used! that’s why it’s mentioned. Will it be used this book? Last book? I’ll have to wait and see. If Moiraine knows of it, there is a chance that other full Aes Sedai know of it, which means the Black Ajah know of it. I bet the Black Ajah want to use it. If they get to use it, I hope they have to pay a steep price for there answers. I expect both the Black Ajah and maybe even the White Tower would want to know if there is a way to control the Dragon as Egwene was controlled by the Seanchan. Yes, I can see a group of women wanting to collar Rand…..for a number of reasons.
6. Trollocs fighting people, trollocs fighting trollocs, and Lanfear in the middle of it, denying any involvement. What do you think happened here, exactly? Do you believe Lanfear?
Hell, no, I don’t believe Lanfear. Obviously, we have some different factions that all showed up to the party. Some want Rand dead, some may just want to capture him – leaving him alive. Lanfear wants to possess him, mind, body, soul, and seed (I expect). So, yeah, Lanfear prefers Rand alive, but she also said that the Ultimate Dark One could destroy his soul. So, if it looks like Rand will be captured by the Dark One’s minions, Lanfear may decide to kill Rand instead of risking his soul being destroyed for all time.
7. Rand promises to announce his intentions the next day. You’re in his place, the future of the universe rests on your shoulders, and you have who knows how many sides expecting you to act in their interest. What do you do?
Well, I would be surprised if Rand hasn’t contemplated suicide as a way to remove him and his immense power from the game board. He may decide to target the Seanchan, as they are a far off foe and Rand wouldn’t actually have to risk lives for a time. He may decide to move to the White Tower and set up a seat of power there. Whatever he tries, I expect things won’t go as planned and I will be highly entertained by everyone’s antics.
While I was rooting for Elayne, I did find it a bit tacky for Egwene and Elayne to orchestrate such a hand off of Rand’s affections. Yes, I understand there was only 4 days in which to get any kissing in, but still… Even a few hours between Egwene dumping him and Elayne picking him up would have given Rand time to react on his wants and not on his roiling, bruised emotions alone.
Thom Merrilyn, Super Secret Spy!
Rand threatened to hang some lords! On one hand, that’s not the sheepherder we’ve been following around for 3 books. On the other hand, I like his determination.
Why hasn’t Perrin or Rand sent for Mat to chat about the assassination attempts on the the three of them? Mat still thinks Rand’s crazy powers are responsible.
What Others Think: