The Shadow Rising Read Along Part II

JordanShadowRisingBannerWelcome back everyone! This week, our questions come from Eivind – and I had quite a fun time coming up with answers. As Eivind doesn’t have a blog, just leave a link to your answers in the comments.

This week covers Chapters 4-10. Yes, there are spoilers below. You can also check out the schedule if you want to join us.

1. The “supergirls” are at an impasse, and they have conflicting testimonials on Liandrin’s plans. Who do you believe? Where would you have them go?

The first question is easy – trust no one. The second question is difficult. I would first see if there is a way to verify any piece of either story and then make a best guess of where to put the limited good guy resources. One story is more disastrous than the other (2nd chatty Black Ajah), so I am inclined to say that is to distract the good guys, to draw their resources away from where they would be needed.

2. Moiraine claims she knows her future husband better than the other girls know theirs (and no, it’s not Lan). What could she possibly be on about?

It is so very interesting to think of Moiraine as a married woman. I almost want to say this is some Min vision that Moiraine has interpreted. I would guess that at some point Moiraine will be forced into a marriage in order to save the world, because until that goal is achieved, I can’t see Moiraine seeing to her personal happiness (or even marrying as a convenient way to provide stability for children).

3. Saidin and Saidar are revealed to be very different things. This is the first time we have some real info about male channeling. What do you think of this magic system?

1) Egwene and Elayne won’t be able to teach or guide Rand as they had hopes. 2) Rand can accomplish a lot, like pissing off everyone in the room, the cleaning staff, and the guards – all in a short amount of time. Way to go Rand! 3) I was a little disturbed when Rand held Egwene and Elayne helpless while he demonstrated his flammatory abilities. Perhaps the taint of Saidar subtly encourages one to questionable uses of the power?

4. Elayne seems to approach this seduction business from a different angle than Berelain does. Successfully so, it seems. Rand and Perrin have both apparently found love. What about Mat? Are there anyone for him?

I was checking out another blogger’s review of Book 3, The Dragon Reborn, and let my eyes flit over the comments. Unfortunately, I read and comprehend quickly. I didn’t mean to, but I now know that Mat will have a relationship that is more than casual. I even have a name. No, I am not going to share here and possibly spoil it for others. I can’t wait until we finish the series and I can safely look at the wealth of fan art.

This is Waffles. Normally she is a sweet, toothless kitty. Today, I am concerned she will burn a hole through me with the Evil Eye.

5. In the depths of the Stone there is a doorway ter’angreal, through which one can get true answers to three questions. Will someone end up using it, and if so, who? What might they ask? What would YOU ask, if given the chance?

Of course it will be used! that’s why it’s mentioned. Will it be used this book? Last book? I’ll have to wait and see. If Moiraine knows of it, there is a chance that other full Aes Sedai know of it, which means the Black Ajah know of it. I bet the Black Ajah want to use it. If they get to use it, I hope they have to pay a steep price for there answers. I expect both the Black Ajah and maybe even the White Tower would want to know if there is a way to control the Dragon as Egwene was controlled by the Seanchan. Yes, I can see a group of women wanting to collar Rand…..for a number of reasons.

6. Trollocs fighting people, trollocs fighting trollocs, and Lanfear in the middle of it, denying any involvement. What do you think happened here, exactly? Do you believe Lanfear?

Hell, no, I don’t believe Lanfear. Obviously, we have some different factions that all showed up to the party. Some want Rand dead, some may just want to capture him – leaving him alive. Lanfear wants to possess him, mind, body, soul, and seed (I expect). So, yeah, Lanfear prefers Rand alive, but she also said that the Ultimate Dark One could destroy his soul. So, if it looks like Rand will be captured by the Dark One’s minions, Lanfear may decide to kill Rand instead of risking his soul being destroyed for all time.

7. Rand promises to announce his intentions the next day. You’re in his place, the future of the universe rests on your shoulders, and you have who knows how many sides expecting you to act in their interest. What do you do?

Well, I would be surprised if Rand hasn’t contemplated suicide as a way to remove him and his immense power from the game board. He may decide to target the Seanchan, as they are a far off foe and Rand wouldn’t actually have to risk lives for a time. He may decide to move to the White Tower and set up a seat of power there. Whatever he tries, I expect things won’t go as planned and I will be highly entertained by everyone’s antics.

While I was rooting for Elayne, I did find it a bit tacky for Egwene and Elayne to orchestrate such a hand off of Rand’s affections. Yes, I understand there was only 4 days in which to get any kissing in, but still… Even a few hours between Egwene dumping him and Elayne picking him up would have given Rand time to react on his wants and not on his roiling, bruised emotions alone.

Thom Merrilyn, Super Secret Spy!

Rand threatened to hang some lords! On one hand, that’s not the sheepherder we’ve been following around for 3 books. On the other hand, I like his determination.

Why hasn’t Perrin or Rand sent for Mat to chat about the assassination attempts on the the three of them? Mat still thinks Rand’s crazy powers are responsible.

What Others Think:

Musings on Fantasia

Coffee, Cookies, & Chili Peppers

9 thoughts on “The Shadow Rising Read Along Part II

“Trust no one.” Good one! I think you’re right about Moiraine putting the fate of the world before her own happiness. I love Thom’s super-spying! :D He’s always an intriguing character to keep an eye on. Sorry you caught a few spoilers! That always sucks. But the sooner we get through the series, the better. :D You make a good point about the boys not communicating. I think it has to do with them growing apart and each dealing with their own problems, but still. I think from this point on in the series, we’ll have a lot of can’t-everyone-just-get-together-and-tell-their-stories-already? going on. I know I say that a lot in later volumes, but this may well be the start of it. :D

Here’s mine!

Thom is a lot of fun and I look forward to seeing how his role progresses as Rand takes more control.
      It wasn’t your blog where I bumped into the spoiler – you and your commenters are very considerate in marking any spoilers. I also bumped into one, perhaps a significant one, on reddit back when we were reading Book 1. I will have to wait to see if it turns out to be majorly important.

The lack of communication adds a lot to the conflict but is remarkably frustrating as a reader: I’m glad that I’m not the only one who finds that!

1. I have no idea what I would be doing here, were I them. I was just fishing for ideas (here, and in question 7) to judge the general atmosphere. The girls don’t know what to do, Rand doesn’t know what to do (or does he?), Mat has no idea, Moiraine at least claims to have an idea. It’s all up in the air. Maybe someone could use a question-answering ter’angreal or some such. NOT THAT I KNOW OF ONE. Though I have to say, Amico Nagoyin appears much more broken than Joiya Byir does.

3. I love the whole One Power thingamajig. I remember this scene vividly. We’ve had some OP science in the White Tower with the girls, but this is the first time we’ve seen any sort of systematic investigation in the male side of things. Over the course of the series, the rules of the OP are very slowly laid bare, and in my mind it kind of started here. (Though for the girls it’s been going on for a while.)

4. Oh, well… I can’t imagine what it must be like trying to avoid spoilers for a series that everyone and their mum have been reading, analyzing, rereading and dissected for 20 years now. However, there’s some info on that coming up I think, so it’s not like you should have been blindsided when it DOES happen. At least for the moment, Mat seems happy to remain a bachelor.

5. Well, yeah, it’ll be used. Mat is obviously tempted, and several others have uses for it (see question 1). I really, really would have liked to take a trip myself. I would at least ask about a proof of the truth, falsity or nondecidability of the Riemann Hypothesis. Then my career would be set. :)

6. Well, she apparently tried to keep Rand safe, so I don’t think she sent the attacking force. Those must come from a different forsaken. The defending force apparently had also been on their way for a bit, so I don’t think that was her either. I’m inclined to believe her on this one, but of course trusting her is a different matter entirely. She even says explicitly that nobody are quite sure where she stands, and that’s the way she likes it. Even more evidence that after Ishamael’s death, the shadow is in total disarray.

7. I think going after the Seanchan would be a mistake. They’re too far off and much too powerful. Rand needs to go after closer and easier targets to begin with. I’m afraid that, in his position, I would fold under Moiraine’s pressure and just go for Illian.

Good luck with the Riemann Hypothesis. But what if you used the ter’angreal and the question could not be answered? The rules say you have to stay within the ter’angreal until 3 questions are answered. Hmmmm…..Potential hiding place?

So far I have only bumped into 2 spoilers – one dealing with Mat’s lady relationships and one dealing with Rand’s lady relationships. I definitely feel that it is more on me than others to avoid such spoilers, as you are correct: This series has been out there for 20 years and everyone but those living under rocks have read at least some of the books. I like my rock.

I finished this week’s section back on Tuesday and it was SO HARD not to read ahead. But the read along is funner if I don’t. Now, I am free to scamper on with the story and find out what Rand will decide to do.

Although Amico appears to be totally broken I am not sure that makes her story entirely trustworthy. The other sisters may have realized that she was likely to break and so she may have been fed misinformation in order for her to send their opposition in the wrong direction.

1. This is a really tough decision, as there is probably some truth in both stories so they can’t be ignored, but they could be a trap or distraction. I’m glad I don’t have to decide!

4. All I can say to Mat’s mystery woman is: “Good luck getting him to settle down, whoever you are!” :D

5. The thought of Rand in a collar is not a happy one, but I can see people wanting to know if it can be done (Suroth for one).

7. I hadn’t thought of suicide . . . but I can see why he might think of it if he believes he will endanger those he loves. However, we are not at that point just yet, so I think he will do something a little less drastic.

Suroth would collar Rand if she could…. and then wreak havoc and despair upon the populace instead of taking him to a private room for some fun. Some women just don’t know what to do with a collared man ;).

Yes, i think you are right that rand isn’t considering suicide yet. But I do wonder if it will come up as self-sacrifice is in his nature and we have so many books left in the series.