The Eye of the World Read Along Part V

eyeoftheworldbannerHello Everyone, welcome back to Part V of the read along. In this section, we cover Chapters 28-33. Please add your link below if you put up a post. If the link mechanism isn’t working, let me know in the comments, and I’ll do it old school. Also, make sure to visit our awesome cohost Anya over at On Starships and Dragonwings. If you want to check the schedule or sign up for the discussion questions email, look over HERE. Oh, and there is still a little time left on our Wheel of Time Audiobook Giveaway, so check that out if you haven’t.

With that, Here Be Spoilers!

1) Perrin, Egwene, Elyas, and Bela had quite the intense ride. What did you think about the ravens and what dark magic could motivate birds, even carrion birds, into such behavior?

I was biting my knuckles the entire time. I have chickens, which are omnivores, and I have seen how intense and ecstatic they get when they find a mouse. And I have seen what little was left of the mouse. So, yes, I had a pretty darn good visual of what those ravens were doing to anything they found moving. I think I can safely say that these ravens are in thrall to Big Bad Dude – hmm.. attempt spelling of Bal’zamon. I wonder what other animals he can control to that extent?

Picabuche - Just a smidge demon?

Picabuche – Just a smidge demon?

2) In Chapter 29, we hear part of the legend of Artur Hawkwing. How do you like Robert Jordan’s nod to such an ancient legend and his use of it and other mythologies in building his world?

I like how Jordan pulls in cultural references like Beltyne celebration and now Artur Hawkwing (King Arthur), as it gives Jordan’s a feeling of age and history. I also have to note that there have been some similarities to Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings and I tend to think these were done on purpose, perhaps as a nod to Tolkien’s works. I am looking forward to seeing what other myths or legends get pulled into the series.

3) Do you think Lord Captain Bornhald and Child Byar capture the two ends of the spectrum for the men who make up The Children of the Light?

These dudes creep me out. They are both dedicated heart and soul to their purpose, though I do believe Bornhald believes he is doing good while Byar just seems to enjoy the control. Perrin and Egwene are in a difficult situation and I worry that before the end of the book we are going to learn about the Children’s methods for bringing folks to the light….like torture.

4) Mat and Rand have a little fight over whether to sell Mat’s dagger, as they are running out of food. How do you like the solution they came up with?

Quite frankly. I am surprised that Mat didn’t come up with being traveling entertainers earlier. But perhaps that dagger is not only setting his mood dial on permanent Grumpy Suspicion, but also deleting brain cells. Still, after loosing Thom, I am glad the boys are continuing forward and have found a way to provide for themselves.

5) At Four Kings, Mat and Rand play for food and bed at a dive of an inn run by Saml Hake. During the course of the night, Rand spots a man, who turns out to be a Dark Friend, Howal Gode. And this naughty Dark Friend disturbs their sleep in a locked room. What do you think happened there?

Wow! OK, I finally believe that Rand is a male Aes Sedai, with all that lightening. Of course, there is the other tell-tale sign of Rand coming down with illness afterwards. I really wish he could have come into his power with Moiraine by his side to help guide him, or at least provide some info. And if 1 Dark Friend could find them on the road, others could too. These guys are to have to be extra careful.

I am glad that we are seeing parts of the story through other characters now. It was cool to start the book with just Rand’s point of view, but now I am glad the story is branching out.

About these ads

9 thoughts on “The Eye of the World Read Along Part V

1. Liesel says:

I agree about the POV shift. It always surprised me when people say they don’t like books with multiple POVs. I was totally obsessed with WoT in high school, and there are tons of POV shifts from here on out, but Jordan does it so skillfully that it’s a boon to the story rather than a stumbling block. It allows us to get into the heads of many different characters and, thanks to Jordan’s skill, we totally love them all! :D Great questions this week!

The change in POV was welcome. I am glad we get to see other characters from the inside, peering into their minds. I can’t wait to see things through Moiraine or Lan. They hold so much of the power and knowledge (so far) so I want to know what they know.

Warning: Comments from someone who has read it all!

1. I feel like this question should be posed together with the one from two weeks back. Who drove the myrddraal into Shadar Logoth? Who “commands” the ravens? Your guess (Ba’alzamon) is reasonable, but who or what is he? Is that the Dark One? Because we’ve been told he can’t touch the Pattern….

2. I like it. There are numerous references to real-world legends and myths, but there is more than that. Allow me to quote from chapter 4. I’d be interested to hear your opinion on this.

“Tell us about Lenn,” Egwene called. “How he flew to the moon in the belly of an eagle made of fire. Tell about his daughter Salya walking among the stars.”

(…)

“Old stories, those,” Thom Merrilin said, and abruptly he was juggling three colored balls with each hand. “Stories from the Age before the Age of Legends, some say. Perhaps even older. (…) Tales of Mosk the Giant, with his Lance of fire that could reach around the world, and his wars with Elsbet, the Queen of All. Tales of Materese the Healer, Mother of the Wondrous Ind.”

The similarities between this book and LotR is something Jordan did on purpose to give readers a familiar starting point (fantasy was not a well developed genre when this book was written). From about this point, the WoT deviates.

5. Yup! That is Rand’s third time channeling, though he has no idea what is happening so far. I asked Anya last week whether she had any ideas for the first two, but she didn’t.

3. nrlymrtl says:

Thanks for the heads up on keeping an open mind of who or what is sending the ravens and pushing the myrrdral. And that is also an interesting idea that Jordan provided so many similarities to LotR to give fantasy readers a familiar starting point. Thank you again for joining us.

4. Anya says:

Yeah, torture doesn’t seem like a great way to bring people to the light, and I personally think that truly good people would always forgive, not behead…. Grr, oh well, Perrin will escape, right? Right???

That cute kitteh cannot be any part demon!!! :D

1. I am a little afraid of chickens now . . . :(

2. I am not sure if the Tolkien-like touches are a conscious reference or more that Mr Jordan is using similar techniques to imply the age of his world. The suggestion that he has a massive Silmarillion-like history laid out for this world adds to the realistic feel. I know that it is not such a typical experience in the US, but in Europe it is fairly typical to sit down on a stone and then realize that it was possibly shaped thousands of years ago.

3. Yep. Children of the Light = The Inquisition as far as I can see, so I expect thumbscrews and red hot pincers will appear fairly soon unless they manage to escape.

4. You are right: Mat is very distracted. In fact, I was surprised that he managed so well when Rand was ill as he seemed to be mostly useless up until then.

5. The danger from all sides is becoming quite claustrophobic, isn’t it? Although the young lad was a pretty rubbish dark friend, so they might not all be a massive threat.

I agree with your point about the multiple POVs. I really dislike books where we learn about our heroes’ actions via massive info-dump conversations.