Warbreaker Read Along Part II

Thanks to the folks over at Once Upon a Time for running this read along. Make sure to check out their site and see what they think about the book so far.

Since this is a reread for me, I will be answering most of these questions sideways because I already know how the story plays out. This week’s section covered Chpts. 13-23. See the schedule over HERE.

The Questions:

1) We’ve seen more of Vasher and Nightblood in action and heard perhaps quite a different perspective from the mercenaries. Any thoughts on what Vasher and Nightblood’s nature or motivations may ultimately be?
Vasher and Nightblood are an interesting duo – each highly deadly in his/it’s own right and one self-restrained and one physically restrained. I am highly amused by Nightblood, in a guilty kind of twisted way. I don’t think Nightblood is a particularly good being. During my first read through, I still wasn’t too sure about these two and their motivations. I thought Vasher was harsh and probably up to no good – he killed a man in the first week’s reading, made threatening eyes at Vivenna this week. But them he goes and leaves people alive that he doesn’t have to.
2) How about the mercenaries themselves? Denth seems to be spectacularly dangerous; more than we may have suspected. Then there is Tonk Fah and the recently introduced Jewels. Are they playing it level with Vivenna, do you think?
Yes. I think they are creepy and morbid by turns, but they are mercenaries and have been hired to do a job. Denth especially appears to be taking the Princess under his wing a little and giving her some much needed advice. I like them because of their dark humor though I do miss Tonk Fah’s bird.  Jewels is the first Drab we really get to see and that only a little. She seems to have no regard for Vivenna and that might just be her nature to everyone, or perhaps she doesn’t care for royalty. She does seem to coddle her Lifeless and I can remember during my first read through thinking perhaps it was because she was socially inept with the living.
3) We – and Siri – were let in on (some of) the secrets surrounding the God King as well, and what has been done to him to keep him in check. Or at least, we’ve seen Siri’s thoughts on why it was done. Do you think she was right? What consequences do you perhaps see arising from her teaching the Godking?
I think she will be teaching him more than reading skills….. OK, highschool humor aside I think some shit will be going down as a result of increasing the God King’s comprehensive skills. The cutesy-wutesy side of me, admittedly very small, also finds this very endearing – the God King asking for help from his wife on something that reveals so much about himself.
4) Blushweaver seems to be working toward some end goal we’re not yet privy to, but we know she is after anyone with Lifeless commands. Any ideas what/who/where her target may be once control of the Lifeless is gained?
Well, I don’t think she is looking to set of a Lifeless harem for herself or a night cabaret with male Lifeless on stage. She says that she just wants to prepare for the worst case, but that is all she is presenting. She seems to get a high out of manipulating people; I hope Lightsong keeps vexing her.
While the scenes with the Lifeless squirrel running amok were not described, I can still picture them, and they make me snort-laugh.
What do you think Vasher was doing in Mercystar’s palace anyway? Who is his informant? I remember being tortured by these questions my first read through.
Scoot knew Lightsong in his past life and believes in his goodness and divinity. That is very telling.
Vivenna has still got a stick up her rear about some things, doesn’t she? I am glad that started to waver in this section, probably due to discovering her father’s notes to the now-dead Lemex.
What do you think Susebron thinks of Siri’s new nightly performance? If he can’t read, then does he know about procreation at all? Do you think he mimics the gestures and bouncing back in his own room, trying to puzzle it out?
Lightsong, the Super Sleuth!

17 thoughts on “Warbreaker Read Along Part II

1. I like your picture :)
    The thought of the squirrel made me smile to, especially when it took them all night to catch it!

The squirrel had me chuckling as well, though not as much as Siri bouncing on the bed trying to make sex noises! :D

Siri amazed me in my first read thru with her ability to set her inhibitions aside for practicality – such as bouncing on the bed.

• Yaneth says:

I’ve been hearing his name pop up on oiaosccn, but it wasn’t until an interview on the Dragon Page that I decided to put him at the top of my reading list. So the last few weeks I’ve reading

• Rasik says:

I really do seem to fgoret some important things each week, don’t I. I think it’s a symptom of finishing the reading too early in the week. I’ve waited until today to even start this week’s reading, so we’ll see how I go next time.But yes, the point I mean in particular this time, was the reveal that Scoot knew Lightsong before he became a Returned.I don’t think I could have let that go either, and I’m surprised Lightsong did given how otherwise detective-y he is seeming at the moment!

• Jade says:

Haha, yeah I am a neuroscience hbsiybot xD And it looks like Sanderson is too from how accurately he’s split the memories :)Definitely, I think I’m just a bit biased since Vivenna rubs me the wrong way xD I just hope that her personality settles as the book moves on otherwise I might get whiplash ;-)

I tried to get a cat to sit with the book, but they all had some party with fancy fish to go to.
      I enjoyed pondering about Lightsong’s past when I first read the book.

• Shigeru says:

I can just imagine Scoot’s intanrel monologue: Thank the God King he finally has a hobby! Maybe he will be the one to do the next divine act, or at least stop pretending to be drunk during the political debates. I love his theological arguments with Lightsong. It really shows he still believes in Lightsong, and now we have our first inkling why.

• Bernard says:

Vivenna’s obedience had a ppsoure and that ppsoure was taken away when she was ordered into a carriage and a marriage that would be advantageous for her folks one she had spent her life training for. So, he disobedience in this one thing didn’t strike me as too odd. It did take me longer to bond with her character the first read through. Nightblood is intriguing and entertaining and deadly all in one.

2. Naithin says:

I really do seem to forget some important things each week, don’t I. I think it’s a symptom of finishing the reading too early in the week. I’ve waited until today to even start this week’s reading, so we’ll see how I go next time.

I can just imagine Scoot’s internal monologue:
      ‘Thank the God King he finally has a hobby! Maybe he will be the one to do the next divine act, or at least stop pretending to be drunk during the political debates. ‘

• Ibocan says:

LOVED this book! I wanted to turn arnuod and read it again right away, but I promised to let a coworker read it first.I\’ve read everything Sanderson\’s published so far, and I\’m really looking forward to seeing what he\’s done with first of the last three of the Wheel of Time Books.

• Kopa says:

The squirrel had me cckuhling as well, though not as much as Siri bouncing on the bed trying to make sex noises! The relationship between Scoot and Lightsong is very interesting: I wonder if the high priests all knew their Returned before being assigned to them?

• Gefferie says:

I think my first indication that Siri might fit in at T’Telir was lenaring about her difficulty controlling her hair color back home. On one hand, it would be cool to change your hair color with controlled thought/emotion, on the other hand it could be more embarrassing than a blush .

• Stela says:

I like your picture The toguhht of the squirrel made me smile to, especially when it took them all night to catch it!The revalation about Scoot and Lightsong made me sit up and take notice too, but I don’t think I could have let it go, I’d have bugged Scoot until he told me who I was.I am starting to wonder if Lightsong was a detective (or the equivalent) in his past life, Scoot doesn’t seem surprised by his sudden desire to investigate does he?

3. Lynnette says:

I like what you’re saying with the imiclpit vs. explicit (or narrative) memories, takes me back to the days of my psych classes!And while you’re completely right, I hadn’t put it into those terms myself.I kind of agree with you that Viveena is acting outside her established history too but on the other hand, I think that’s kind of the point. This situation hasn’t precisely had the opportunity to come up in the past, and clearly she feels quite strongly for her sister despite however different their behaviours and world-views might’ve been even before Siri was taken to Hallendren.